Here you will find a selection of short Farewell quotes to say goodbye to a loved one.
There is nothing more painful than saying goodbye to someone you love. The idea of separation always gives us a feeling of emptiness and desolation.
We dread goodbyes and rarely know how to move forward in a healthy way. Like the end of a chapter, a goodbye asks us to forget the past and embrace the future, but this is definitely not easy.
Check out these goodbye quotes to see the upbeat side of goodbyes and to remind you how to deal with them when your heart refuses to let them go.
Table of Contents
- 50 Farewell quotes to help you say goodbye
- More short goodbye quotes
50 Farewell quotes to help you say goodbye
Here are the best quotes about goodbyes:
1. “Each departure is a kind of death, just as each meeting is a kind of Heaven.”
The only good thing about parting is the hope of meeting again. Every time we separate from those we love, we feel that we lose a part of ourselves. That is why meetings are the happiest and most joyous events of our lives.
2. “Saying goodbye means nothing. It’s the time we spend together that matters, not how we left it.”
Time puts an end to many great things but this is not a reason to despair. Instead of focusing on goodbyes we should focus on the beautiful memories we made and the moments we shared. In the beauty of the past lies the joy of the future.
3. “If you are brave enough to say ‘goodbye’, life will reward you with a new ‘hello’.”
People often say that a closed door can lead to an open window. In the same way, if every parting is an ending then this means that it is also a beginning. Behind every goodbye there is the opportunity for a new hello and a new adventure.
4. “History never really says goodbye. History says: ‘See you later’.”
For most of us history means something distant that has no connection to our own lives. Despite this belief, history repeats itself following cycles that do not allow us to say goodbye to the past. Saying goodbye to history is forgetting and this makes us repeat the same mistakes.
5. “The two hardest things to say in life are ‘hello’ for the first time and ‘goodbye’ for the last time.”
For different reasons saying hello for the first time is as difficult as saying goodbye for the last time because both situations put us in a tense position where we are flooded with emotion. They also provoke fear by making us face the unknown.
6. “We only parted to meet again.”
Not all goodbyes are forever. Many of them are only temporary. We part ways to give each other room to flourish so that a new meeting will be richer and more meaningful. For every parting there is the promise of a future reunion.
7. “How lucky I am to have something that forces me to say goodbye.”
Worse than saying goodbye is having no one to say goodbye to. Separation is a risk in love and relationships but when we don’t take this risk our hearts remain empty. If a goodbye hurts it’s because we love a lot and that’s a price worth paying.
8. “Only in the agony of saying goodbye are we able to understand the depth of our love.”
In the daily routine of our lives we tend to take our relationships for granted thinking that everything lasts forever. Faced with the threat of separation, we discover the strength of our connections and the pain that a goodbye can cause us.
9. “The reason it hurts so much to part is because our souls are connected.”
In a relationship guided by love and affection, any separation causes great anguish. People who love each other strongly need each other and the prospect of saying goodbye seems to them to neglect the call of their souls. When souls are connected, a separation is a mutilation.
10. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.”
Men and women have a different way of expressing their thoughts and emotions. Women are always honest and open even when they have to say goodbye but they are also indecisive. Men are more committed to their decisions but they dislike emotional moments such as goodbyes.
11. “Never leave without saying loving words during your absence. You may never say them again in this life.”
During the moments of separation we always promise each other that we will meet again. Although we can be sincere in our intentions, life can interfere making a new meeting impossible. That is why we must put a lot of love and affection in our goodbyes.
12. “It’s time to say goodbye but goodbyes are sad and I prefer to say hello. Hello to a new adventure.”
Goodbyes are sad and depressing only because we tend to think of them as an end forgetting the possibilities of the future. For every farewell we should say a new hello to an adventure in our lives.
13. “Where is the good in goodbye?”
Goodbyes can reveal all the hidden feelings and emotions that we have inside. Sometimes as optimistic as we can be, there is nothing good about saying goodbye. By accepting that sadness is a condition of life, we will learn to heal our wounds faster.
14. “Man’s feelings are always purer and brighter at the time of meeting and parting.”
Meetings and partings are moments of honesty and pure expression of the deepest emotions. We do not have to pretend or deceive anyone in those moments.
15. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.
“A real connection transcends the limits of time and space because people who love each other always carry the other in their minds and hearts. When we find refuge in the heart of a loved one, goodbyes mean nothing.
16. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means leaving and leaving means forgetting.”
J. M. Barrie
Goodbyes hurt so much because they bring with them other sadness such as the fear of forgetting or being forgotten. When we say goodbye we have the consolation that our memory will preserve the beauty of the connection but time is merciless with us.
17. “Thank God I found the good in goodbye.”
Being able to find something good in a breakup is a sign of great emotional and mental strength. Life does not end in a goodbye as every second can bring new opportunities. If we hold on too tightly to our pain, we could miss out on these opportunities.
18. “It is the most empty and yet the most complete message of all humans: ‘Goodbye’.”
There is no greater emotional roller coaster than goodbye. Every time we say goodbye we feel devastated by the intensity of our emotions but at the same time we feel a terrible emptiness. Farewells reveal both the strength of our hearts and their fragility.
19. “I know very well how parting can steal more than just the future.”
Each farewell closes the door to a possible future, forcing us to reconsider our path and find new possibilities elsewhere. The worst thing about goodbyes is that they can make us lose faith in the future, denying us hope.
20. “The parting is all we know about heaven and all we need to know about hell.”
Despite the struggle to stay positive about any separation, no one wants to go through the pain of saying goodbye again. Goodbyes feel like a combination of heaven and hell forcing us to face all our fears.
21. “Don’t be discouraged by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can see us again.”
Without goodbyes there would be no meetings. The pain of saying goodbye is sometimes worth the sweet joys of reconnecting. Goodbyes don’t have to represent endings, they can be a simple pause where everyone takes time to catch their breath.
22. “Saying goodbye creates a kind of disgust for those who say goodbye; this hurts and you feel like it shouldn’t happen again.”
In addition to causing us a lot of pain, goodbyes can make us harsh about the people we have to part with. The bitterness of a goodbye can affect the relationship and make the reunion unpleasant. We must carefully choose which goodbyes are forever and which are temporary.
23. “This is not goodbye, honey, this is a thank you.”
It would be amazing if instead of saying goodbye we could thank others for being a part of our lives, for bringing us joy and for making beautiful memories with us. This attitude would add great serenity to our relationships, saving us from the pain of goodbyes.
24. “We will meet again, I don’t know where, I don’t know when, but I know we will meet again some sunny day.”
Every unwanted goodbye brings the promise of reconnection. People who embrace each other in their hearts and search for each other in the world live with the hope of a new meeting. Life often rewards them for their faith.
25. “The pain of separation is nothing for the joy of meeting again.”
If separations produce so many negative feelings, reunions have the opposite effect. Each meeting is a moment of joy, excitement and happiness that erases all the bad memories of separation.
26. “Saying goodbye is like dying.”
Each goodbye forces us to abandon things that are important to us and that make us who we are. In a way, saying goodbye is accepting to close the door on the past, which can make us feel very confused, lost and miserable. Farewells can’t always be taken lightly.
27. “It takes courage to say goodbye. To look at a lost thing and know that it is gone forever.”
Saying goodbye is admitting that we simply lost something important that we may never get back. No wonder it takes great courage to say goodbye. Above all, we have to ignore the feeling that it could be final.
28. “Goodbye is a beautiful and soft word, however it is something horrible and heavy!”
Any goodbye takes only a few moments and seems so easy to do, however it is one of the most complex and traumatic experiences. It is a heavy burden on our hearts, hurting us and those from whom we part.
29. “I find wisdom in the waves. Goodbye is a greeting to a life without you.”
A wise person knows that nothing is eternal and that life flows freely despite our feelings and misfortunes. Life takes things away from us but gives us others instead in a continuous cycle. A goodbye can easily become a greeting when we accept that life goes on.
30. “The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained.”
Bilal Nassir Khan
More painful than saying goodbye is never having the opportunity to say it. People need closure in order to move forward and heal themselves. When this possibility of closure is denied, the pain becomes heavier.
31. “Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same.”
Instead of suffering when we say goodbye to someone, we should express our gratitude for the opportunity to have them in our lives. Some people change us and add great beauty and excitement to our lives, even if they don’t stay with us for long.
More short goodbye quotes
32. “Life has taught me to say goodbye to the people I love, without taking them out of my heart.”
33. “The world is round and that place that seems like an end could also be a beginning.”
34. “They said goodbye and the goodbye was already the welcome.”
35. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
36. “I say goodbye to you for life, but all my life I will continue thinking of you.”
Jose Angel Buesa
37. “You see that the pain felt is so deep, that there is nothing sadder than the last goodbye.”
38. “Remember me and smile, since forgetting is preferable to remembering me and crying.”
39. “Each farewell is a meeting left for later.”
40. “Love is so short and oblivion is so long.”
41. “He who is used to traveling knows that it is always necessary to leave one day.”
42. “Only what is lost is acquired forever.”
43. “Whoever invented distance never suffered the pain of longing.”
Francois de La Rochefoucauld
44. “The hands that say goodbye are birds that are slowly dying.”
45 “Love does not end just by saying goodbye, we must bear in mind that being absent does not cancel the memory, it does not buy oblivion, nor does it erase us from the map.”
46. “Nothing and no one can prevent them from suffering, that the hands move on the clock, that they decide for them, that they make mistakes, that they grow up and that one day they say goodbye to us.”
Joan Manuel Serrat
47. “They both sighed the same and today they are part of a distant rain, don’t get confused, resentment is useless, they are spasms after goodbye.”
48. “Life has taught me to say goodbye to the people I love, without taking them out of my heart.”
49. “Great is the art of beginnings, but greater is the art of endings.”
Henry W. Longfellow
50. “When you separate from a friend, do not suffer. Because what you love most in him will be clearer in his absence, as the mountain is clearer from the plain for the mountaineer. ”
Did you like these farewell quotes to say goodbye? Share in the comments which was your favorite quote.