Do you want to find the best reflections and phrases of lies?
Why do people tell lies? There are many reasons that can motivate people to tell lies. Although each reason may be different from the other, they all come from a root cause that is not being able to bear the consequences of telling the truth.
Lack of courage, lack of problem-solving skills, and lack of ability to properly handle unexpected events can make running away from a situation a much better option than facing it.
If the person values honesty or if he is religious, he may try to escape from problems without lying, but if the option of lying is possible, then he will definitely consider it the easiest way out.
Consequently, lying is the combination of not being able to face the consequences of being honest and the lack of values.
To reflect on lies, I have compiled the best phrases of lies and deceit from great personalities such as Friedrich Nietzsche, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Pablo Picasso and many others.
60 phrases of lies and about deception
Here are the phrases about lies:
1. “What worries me is not that you have lied to me, but that, from now on, I will no longer be able to believe in you”
2. “We are all islands screaming lies at each other, across the seas of misunderstanding.”
3. “Lies and secrets are like a cancer in the soul. They eat what is good and leave only destruction.”
4. “Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.”
5. “Lying is an elementary means of self-defense.”
6. “If someone lies about something small, you don’t know what else they’re lying about. I am an adult person, I can handle the truth even if it is not good news.”
7. “I can bear any truth; just do not lie to me.”
8. “When you realize that a truth is a lie, what follows is anger.”
9. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”
10. “A lie cannot live.”
Martin Luther King
11. “History is a series of agreed lies.”
12. “The lie is made with words, but also with silences.”
13. “I always tell the truth, even when I lie.”
14. “Women lie about their age; men lie about their income.”
15. “Lying is the most fun a girl can do without taking her clothes off.”
16. “With a lie you usually go very far but without hope of coming back.”
17. “A lie can be less of a liar than a well-chosen truth.”
18. “A lie would have no meaning if the truth was not perceived as dangerous.”
19. “All men are born honest and die liars.”
Marquis of Vauvenargues
20. “A lie is like a snowball; the more it rolls, the bigger it gets.”
21. “There are some good people. But a good part of them will lie to you for no reason: it will be ten o’clock and they will tell you that it is nine o’clock. You’re looking at the clock and you can’t even understand why they’re lying. They just lie because that’s what they do.”
22. “A half-empty glass of wine is also a half-full one, but a half-lie is by no means a half-truth.”
23. “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.”
24. “The punishment of the liar is not to be believed, even when he tells the truth.”
25. “The eyes show the lies.”
26. “The liar has two evils: he neither believes nor is believed.”
27. “For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth.”
28. “A lie that is half true is the darkest of all lies.”
Alfred Lord Tennyson
29. “For a lie, a man annihilates his human dignity.”
30. “A lie can go around the world before the truth has a chance to put on its pants.”
31. “Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.”
32. “All the truth in the world constitutes a big lie.”
33. “A narrator invents things to help other people; a liar invents things to help himself.”
34. “There is no greater lie than the misunderstood truth.”
35. “Someone who knows too much finds it difficult not to lie.”
36. “The consolation of a lie is better than the absurdity of the truth.”
37. “Lying is easy. But it’s lonely.”
38. “The most skillful way in the world to lie is to tell the right amount of truth at the right time and then shut up.”
Robert A. Heinlein
39. “The truth is as straight as an arrow, while a lie slithers like a snake.”
40. “No lie reaches old age.”
41. “People only lie because they are afraid of the truth.”
42. “The truth costs. But lies cost more.”
43. “Only women and doctors know how necessary and beneficial lies are.”
44. “Over time, a painful truth is better than a useful lie.”
45. “You never lie as much as before the elections, during the war and after the hunt.”
Otto von Bismarck
46. “The river of truth runs through channels of lies.”
47. “It is not enough to just tell the truth, it is more convenient to show the cause of the falsehood.”
48. “There are three kinds of lies: The lie, the damn lie and the statistics.”
49. “Lie to find the truth.”
50. “Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.”
51. “I never say what I believe, nor do I ever believe what I say, and if a truth escapes me from time to time, I hide it among so many lies, that it is difficult to recognize it.”
52. “It is wise not to trust entirely those who have deceived us once.”
53. “The lie wins tricks, but the truth wins the game.”
54. “It is better to be defeated by telling the truth, than to triumph by lying.”
55. “It is easy to speak clearly when the whole truth is not going to be told.”
56. “Nobody manages to lie, nobody manages to hide anything when looking straight into the eyes.”
57. “It is not necessary to say everything that is thought, what is necessary is to think everything that is said”
58. “Crows tear out the eyes of the dead when they no longer need them; but flatterers destroy the souls of the living by blinding their eyes.”
59. “Lies are very difficult to kill but a lie that attributes to a man what was actually the work of a woman has more lives than a cat”
60. “The man who is not afraid of the truth, has nothing to fear of lies.”
Let’s look at other reasons that make people lie:
- To get attention – Some people choose to lie because they lack self-confidence and feel ignored by their peers. They usually make up stories to gain some lost attention.
- To achieve their goals : People can also lie to get some incentive or benefit, for example: on their resumes or in job interviews. Even if the intentions were good, in the end the consequences will be to admit that you didn’t have the required skills.
- To avoid punishment – In many cases, a person may lie to avoid being punished. This is the most common reason that motivates children to lie to their parents. If parents are very harsh or severely punish their children when they make mistakes then they can motivate them to lie.
- Feel worthy – Some people lie to feel more worthy. A person may lie about her income to appear more valuable to others. In such a case, the person chooses to lie because they believe that telling the truth would make them appear unworthy.
- To deceive others – Some people may lie to deceive or manipulate others. Those people might think that lying to others makes them smarter.
I hope you have gotten inspiration from these lying phrases .