The seas, oceans and beaches have a profound effect on our lives. Discover the most beautiful phrases about the sea and the beach said by great authors such as Helen Keller, Vincent Van Gogh, Khalil Gibran, Rabindaranath Tagore, Jacques Costeau and many others.
Planet Earth has five large oceans and 113 seas. They represent 72 percent of the globe’s surface and together they have been an inexhaustible source of inspiration for humanity.
The oceans and seas have been changing lives since the beginning of time. Saline water is part of who we are, even as it claims souls and dreams.
Humans have always experienced an intense relationship with the oceans. Pouring feelings into the seas is an ancient practice.
We have done it through philosophical thoughts, inspirational speeches, quotes and universal sayings. In short, we have been in love with the sea since we first saw it.
Take a deep breath and immerse yourself in the magnificent collection of unforgettable phrases about the sea, the ocean and the beach.
Table of Contents
- Sea and Beach Phrases
Sea and Beach Phrases
Here is the collection of sea and beach phrases:
1. “We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it’s to sail or to watch, we go back to where we came from.”
John F. Kennedy
2. “Being in the ocean, in God’s creation, is like a gift that he has given us to enjoy.”
3. “The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination, and brings everlasting joy to the soul.”
4. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.”
5. “We must not lose faith in humanity, which is like the ocean: it does not get dirty because some of its drops are dirty.”
6. “If you live a fantasy life, your life is worth nothing until you do something that defies your reality. And for me sailing in the open sea is a real challenge because it is life or death.”
7. “If you want to build a ship, don’t start by looking for wood, cutting boards or distributing the work. It first evokes in men and women the longing for the free and wide sea.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
8. “A beach is not just a sweep of sand, but the shells of sea creatures, the sea glass, the algae, the incongruous objects washed up by the ocean.”
9. “I need the sea because it teaches me
I don’t know if I learn music or awareness
I don’t know if it’s a single wave or being deep
or just a hoarse voice or dazzling
suggestion of fish and ships.”
10. “The ocean is older than the mountains and is loaded with the memories and dreams of Time.”
H. P. Lovecraft
11. “In each promontory, in each curved beach, in each grain of sand, is the history of the Earth.”
12. “Why are scuba divers and surfers some of the strongest advocates for ocean conservation? Because they have spent time in and around the sea and have personally seen the beauty, the fragility and even the degradation of the blue heart that is our planet.”
13. “The sea is an ancient language that I can no longer decipher.”
Jorge Luis Borges
14. “There is nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shore, no matter how many times it moves away.”
15. “Infinite and immortal, the waters of the beaches are the beginning and the end of all things on Earth.”
16. “Ocean: A body of water that occupies two-thirds of a man-made world that has no gills.”
17. “The sea. The sea.
The sea. Only the sea!
Why did you bring me, father,
to the city?
Why did you dig me up
from the sea?
In dreams the tidal wave tugs
at my heart;
I would like to take it.
Father, why did you bring me
Moaning to see the sea,
a little sailor on land
hoists this lament into the air:
Oh my sailor blouse;
The wind always inflated it for me
when I saw the jetty!”
18. “Whatever you lose, we will always find ourselves at sea.”
19. “How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is clearly an ocean.”
Arthur C Clarke
20. “The sea has no paths, the sea has no explanations.”
21. “You will never have enjoyed the world properly until the sea flows through your veins and until you are clothed with the heavens and crowned with the stars.”
22. “You cannot be unhappy when you have this: the smell of the sea, the sand under your fingers, the air, the wind.”
23. “In a drop of water are all the secrets of all the oceans.”
24. “Even the upper end of the river believes in the ocean.”
25. “The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval forest, and the sound of the ocean outside on a beach.”
26. “You cannot cross the sea just by being in it and looking at the water.”
27. “In the sea, life is different. It is not made of hours, but of moments. You live according to the currents, the tides, following the sun.”
28. “Sometimes we feel that what we do is just a drop in the sea, but the sea would be less if it were missing that drop.”
Mother Teresa of Calcutta
29. “The sea, once it exerts its spell, keeps one in its web of wonders forever.”
30. “A swimming pool is not the same as the ocean. It has no power. Does not have a life.”
31. “The sea is emotion incarnate. Love, hate and cry. She defies all attempts to capture it in words, and rejects all limitations.”
32. “He saw the sea for the first time in his life. It was dark as dreams and deep as torpor. A pleasant scent of seaweed floated on the cool wind.”
33. “When my thoughts are anxious, restless and bad, I go to the seashore, and the sea drowns them and sends them away with its great wide sounds, purifies it with its noise, and imposes a rhythm on everything that in Me it is disoriented and confused.”
Rainer Maria Rilke
34. “The sea does not reward those who are too eager, who are too greedy or too impatient. One must remain empty, open and without options, like a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
35. “No house should exist without sea views. Every house should belong to the wind and the waves. The sea and the house should live together one in front of the other to trust each other with their secrets.”
36. “The earth, the sky, the forests, the fields, the lakes and rivers, the mountains and the seas, are excellent teachers and teach us more than we can ever learn from books. –John Lubbok. “Why do we love the sea? It is because it has a powerful power to make us think things that we like to think.”
37. “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensual, enveloping the body in its soft and close embrace.”
38. “The great sea makes one a great skeptic.”
39. “For me the sea is a continuous miracle, the fish that swim, the rocks, the movement of the waves, the boats and their navigators. Are there stranger miracles?”
40. “Every time I am in front of the sea I open myself to the gifts of the air, and the colors and shapes and vibrations enter and leave my chest with the same ease with which they pass through a window.”
41. “The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.”
42. “The sea lives in each one of us.”
43. “Sea in the morning.
Stop me here.
May I also contemplate
nature for a moment,
the luminous blue of the sea in the morning and the cloudless sky
and the yellow sand:
beautiful and great room of light.”
44. “Even castles made of sand fall into the ocean.”
45. “Many people attack the sea, I make love to it.”
46. “For me, the sea is like a person, like a child I have known for a long time. It sounds crazy , I know, but when I swim in the sea, I talk to him. I never feel alone in that immensity.”
47. “A simple life is fine with me. I don’t need much. For me, a t-shirt, a pair of shorts, barefoot on a beach and I’m happy.”
48. “Live in the sunlight, swim in the sea, drink the wild air.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
49. “Summer means happy times and a nice sunny day. It means going to the beach.”
50. “To me, I am just a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth remain undiscovered.”
51. “Going out into the sunset on an empty beach is truly embracing your loneliness.”
52. “For me the sea has always been a confidant, a friend who absorbs everything that is told to him without ever revealing the confided secret and who gives the best advice: a noise whose meaning each one interprets as best he can.”
53. “You cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach.”
54. “I love the beach, I love the sea. All my life I have lived in front of the sea.”
55. “I look better when I am totally free, when I am on vacation , walking on the beach.”
56. “The beach is definitely where I feel most at home. It’s my oxygen. I forget how much I need it sometimes when I’m away at work.”
57. “The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the globe. His breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never alone, because he feels life on all sides. ”
58. “Long walks on the beach are the supposed Holy Grail of a romantic evening. The beach becomes a kind of utopia, the place where all our dreams come true.”
59. “I wonder what life lacks when on a summer night the breath of the stars opens the windows and throws the perfume of the sea inside you.”
60. “According to some legends, the sea is the abode of everything we have lost, of everything we have not had, of the frustrated desires, of the pains, of the tears that we have shed.”
“Only music is at the height of the sea.”
62. “We have found it again!
It is the sea mixed
with the sun.”
63. “Goodbye, brother, sea
, I am taking a little of your gravel
, a little of your blue salt,
a little of your infinity,
and a little of your light
and your unhappiness.”
64. “The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm is terrible. But that doesn’t stop them from going to sea.”
Vincent van Gogh
65. “The sea smiles in the distance. Foam teeth, lips of heaven.”
Federico García Lorca
66. “I could never stay on the shore long enough; the taste of unpolluted, fresh and free sea air was like a cool and calm thought.”
67. “There is no sea that does not fit through the window.”
68. “The sea will grant each man new hopes, and sleep will bring them dreams of home.”
69. “Everyone admits that the sea is one of the most beautiful and magnificent landscapes in nature.”
70. “After a visit to the beach, it is hard to believe that we live in a material world.”
Did you like these phrases about the sea and the beach?
A day at the beach sounds great. The beach offers the opportunity to escape the hyperconnected and overstimulated state of modern life in favor of a calm and relaxed presence. Whether it’s to relax or catch a wave, the sea and the beach have everything we need to live a healthy and happy life.
I hope you have enjoyed reading these phrases from Sea and beach. What were your favorites or do you have others to share? Share them below in the comments.