Here is a collection of spiritual phrases for you to discover some key ideas on how to recover your spiritual self and move closer to a life of peace and self-affirmation.
What does it mean to be spiritual? This is a question that doesn’t come up in our thoughts too often, especially as the demands of modern life direct us on a totally different path.
However, we are spiritual beings with needs that must be met . Otherwise we lose what we are, what we mean.
75 phrases about Spirituality
I leave you with the compilation of spiritual quotes:
1. “Just listen to your voice inside you. This is the mind to trust. This is God consciousness speaking, not the ego that is seeking recognition.”
Embarking on a spiritual journey begins with a decision to listen to our inner voices. If we allow our hearts to guide us, we find that our path and destiny become clearer. We lose the burden of the ego and discover the joy of spiritual freedom.
2. “Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing yourself is enlightenment.”
Getting in touch with our spirituality begins with a good look at our relationships with others and our understanding of ourselves. To be spiritually awake we need to really learn who we are.
3. “If we fail to nurture our souls, they wither and without a soul, life becomes meaningless.”
Just as we feed our bodies with nutrients and our minds with knowledge and information, we also need to feed our souls. Our souls need beauty, love and connection to grow.
4. “The way is not in the sky; The path is in the heart.”
Spiritual awakening is realizing that there is no spiritual world separate from the material. Only our hearts can unite them and find the way to true awakening.
5. “We are not human beings going through a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
Teilhard de Chardin
Many people believe that a spiritual experience is very rare and only happens to a few special people. Nothing could be more wrong. Each person is at a different level of consciousness
6. “Spirituality is not adopting more beliefs and assumptions, but discovering the best that is in you.”
It is a challenge for us to seek a spiritual experience because we are burdened by all the beliefs, assumptions, and opinions rooted in a pragmatic and materialistic worldview. A spiritual experience is possible when we free ourselves from all bonds and discover the deepest layers of our inner self.
7. “It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.”
The spiritual dimension of life is always present but we are not always able to see it. We must be fully aware of the present moment and be grateful for it. We need to embrace the gifts of life and seek fulfillment.
8. “It is not the answer that illuminates, but the question.”
The road to wisdom is not paved with definitive answers. To be wise one must gain the ability to ask the right questions even if the answers are not yet available. Spiritual peace comes from being open to the mysterious and the unknown.
9. “If you want to be a true seeker of truth, it is necessary that you doubt at least once in your life, as far as possible of all things.”
The path to recover all of our selves and become aware is never easy. Doubt is the worst part of it. However, every person who strives to find the truth has to go through many moments of doubt and disappointment.
10. “It is only by capturing our consciousness in the living sensation of our bodies that the ‘I Am’, our real presence can awaken.”
A spiritual life does not mean ignoring the demands of our minds or our bodies. It is precisely when we learn to see the sacred and the spiritual where there is only matter and sensation that we achieve wholeness.
11. “I close my eyes to see.”
The spiritual being in us is primarily concerned with things that the senses cannot capture. We cannot see the spiritual world with our eyes but we know that there is something very powerful in us every time we look within. If our eyes are closed but our hearts are open, we will be able to see the essential.
12. “The search for wisdom is a great challenge; acting wisely is an even greater challenge.”
People who want to live according to the aspirations of their spiritual selves know that the search for wisdom is challenging. It is even more difficult to incorporate wisdom into our daily existence. However difficult does not mean impossible.
13. “All truly wise thoughts have been thought thousands of times already, but to make them truly ours, we must think them honestly again, until they take root in our personal experience.”
The first rule of a spiritual journey is that it must be authentic and personal. We cannot rely on the thoughts, words and actions of others to achieve self-realization. We must think our own thoughts and live our own experiences to gain a complete understanding of our higher self.
14. “We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew in our hearts and souls the immortal dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is a miracle and magic.”
E. Merrill Root
Engaging with our spiritual selves is so important because it helps us see the world in a more complete way. We are able to discern between the superfluous and the beautiful or wonderful. We tune in to the miracles of life.
15. “What is not taken into account, comes to us as destiny.”
E. Merrill Root
The danger of denying the spiritual within us brings its consequences. Without deep introspection and full awareness of ourselves and the world, we are nothing more than victims of the doom of the unconscious.
16. “The true religion is the life we lead, not the creed we profess.”
If there is no honesty and passion in our decision to adopt a religion or a spiritual path, it will show in the way we lead our lives. How we live from day to day says more about our spiritual experience than our professed choices.
17. “If the only prayer you say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.”
Sometimes people are very spiritually aware without necessarily striking an official pose. Being a compassionate and loving person who knows how to be grateful for life’s gifts speaks volumes about a person’s connection to the spiritual side of them.
18. “We don’t see things as they are. We see them as we are.”
Becoming more aware of our spiritual needs can have tremendous effects on our quality of life. Our perception of the world becomes clearer and also becomes deeper and broader. By opening our hearts to the spiritual, we open our eyes to beauty and truth.
19. “If the doors of perception were purified, everything would appear to men as it really is: infinite.”
Our minds love to categorize, label, and organize things according to given criteria. Life is an intricate design of infinite proportions that we can only grasp as spiritual beings.
20. “This is my religion. There is no need for temples. There is no need for a complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple and philosophy is goodness .”
We know that we have a spiritual side that craves attention but sometimes we think it is too complicated to navigate the different religions, ideologies or philosophies that teach us about our spirituality. However, true spirituality is quite simple. It only takes love and kindness.
21. “The Spirit is neither good nor bad, it runs where the wild heart leads.”
After we create a harmonious connection between our intellectual, emotional, and spiritual needs, we realize that we transcend all the limitations that caused friction in our lives. We serenely follow the call of our hearts knowing that it will lead us safely to where we belong.
22. “The best way to know God is to love many things.”
Vincent van Gogh
Love and spirituality are deeply intertwined. There is no deeper and more complete spiritual experience than love. In all its forms love is immensely powerful because it is a direct dialogue with the deepest parts of our souls.
23. “You do not exist to serve the illusion. Illusion exists to serve you.”
The best thing about paying more attention to the spiritual side of life is that slowly all the illusions of our daily existence begin to fade. We realize that the things society sees as goals are just means to an end. By gaining wisdom we gain control over our lives.
24. “The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.”
When we are not in touch with our spiritual selves we are easily crushed by the demands and burdens of life. We don’t know how strong we are or how much we can handle until we unleash the spiritual powers hidden within us.
25. “Each positive change, each jump to a higher level of energy and consciousness, implies a rite of passage.”
Great things never come easily to us especially when it comes to reclaiming our spiritual selves under the weight of a stressful, fast-paced world. It is a journey of many steps and jumps that prepares us for a better world that awaits us at our destination.
26. “Love in its essence is spiritual fire.”
A spiritual path always passes through the realm of love. Perhaps love is a test or what really helps us develop our hidden strengths, but it is still a shortcut for those who aspire to achieve their own achievement.
27. “Spirituality is not a formula; It’s not a test. It’s a relationship. Spirituality is not about competition; it’s about intimacy. Spirituality is not about perfection; it’s about connection.”
One of the reasons we struggle with spiritual development is that we are inundated with formulas, guides, or rules. Yet spirituality is exactly that elusive but all-encompassing thing that escapes any attempt to put it in a box. It stems from sincerity, connection, and authenticity.
28. “Being spiritual has nothing to do with who you are. Being spiritual has nothing to do with what you believe, it has to do with your state of consciousness.”
Our mind can decide to choose a certain path but that does not mean that the conclusion of our rational mind is the same as the call of our inner voice. We must pay close attention to ensure that our beliefs align with our deepest desires.
29. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without spirituality.”
We are often so busy and stressed that we ignore the fact that for our health and well-being we must also attend to our spiritual needs. A life devoid of the spiritual loses its beauty and meaning.
30. “When we seek connection, we restore the world to wholeness. Our seemingly separate lives take on meaning as we discover how truly necessary we are to each other.”
Although a spiritual journey is always personal and lonely, one of its great merits is that it brings us closer to all living beings and to the universe itself. We discovered that a spiritual life requires connection and harmony.
31. “I searched for my soul; I could not see my soul.
I searched for my God; my God eluded me.
I looked for my brother and found all three.”
The path to a spiritual life is very simple, but since we are very far from understanding our spiritual being, it is very difficult for us to discover it. The easiest way to recover our center is to seek and cultivate love.
32. “Man has two spiritual needs: One of them is forgiveness , the other is kindness.”
33. “I believe that the spiritual journey is not a journey of discovery. It is a journey of recovery. A journey of discovery of your own inner nature.”
34. “To me, growing to spiritual maturity is becoming less self-aware and more God-aware.”
35. “Music is the mediator between sensual and spiritual life.”
Ludwig van Beethoven
36. “The miracle is not flying in the sky or walking on the water, but walking on the ground.”
37. “We don’t need more intellectual power, we need more spiritual power. We don’t need more things that are seen, we need more things that are not seen.”
38. “Fear is an impediment for love to arise. Fear is not something innate, but learned. Spirituality teaches you to free yourself from fear and hate.”
39. “Physical strength cannot permanently withstand the impact of spiritual strength.”
Franklin D Roosevelt
40. “To experience spirituality every day, we need to remember that we are spiritual beings spending some time in a human body.”
41. “Maturity is the ability to think, speak and show your feelings within the limits of dignity. The measure of your maturity is how spiritual you are during your frustrations.”
42. “The great men are those who see that spirituality is stronger than any material force, that thoughts rule the world.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
43. “The search for spirituality is not an added benefit to our lives, something you embark on if you have the time and inclination. We are spiritual beings on an earthly journey. Our spirituality builds our being.”
44. “Real values can have meaning for man only when he goes on the spiritual path, a path where negative emotions have no use.”
45. “You have to grow from the inside out. Nobody can teach you, nobody can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but that of your own soul.”
46. “Every moment that you do not follow your inner guidance, you feel a loss of energy, a loss of power, a sense of spiritual loss.”
47. “Happiness depends on what you can give, not what you can get.”
48. “Maturity is the ability to think, speak and show your feelings within the limits of dignity. The measure of your maturity is how spiritual you are during your frustrations.”
49. “Happiness cannot be possessed, earned or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.”
50. “The great consciousness comes slowly, step by step. The path of spiritual growth is an apprenticeship that lasts a lifetime.”
M. Scott Peck
51. “Keep your feet on the ground, but let your heart soar as high as it can.”
52. “Life is only tolerable when the body and soul live in perfect harmony, when there is a natural balance between the two and when both respect each other reciprocally.”
53. “The secret of freedom is that we act correctly, without being attached to the results.”
54. “It is essential that we take care of the soul if we want the head and the rest of the body to function properly.”
55. “Our happiness is not a reward, it is a consequence. Our suffering is not a punishment, it is a result.”
56. “Spirituality is not adopting more beliefs and assumptions, but discovering the best that is in you.”
57. “Perfection is found everywhere if we choose to see it.”
58. “We have been put into this world to learn lessons that will make us more complete souls.”
59. “Only those who are established and trust their spirituality can really fly and be free, getting closer to reality so that their inner tree can flourish and bear fruit.”
60. “Having a clear conscience makes you stronger.”
61. “Whoever is looking for happiness outside of himself is like a snail that will march in search of his house.”
62. “When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you will not be a victim of unnecessary suffering.”
63. “True spiritual awareness develops only when you are flexible, spontaneous, detached and kind to other people.”
64. “Happiness is something internal, not external; therefore, it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are.”
Henry Van Dyke
65. “You must flow with whatever happens in your life and leave your mind free. Always accept what you are doing.”
66. “When you connect with the silence that is in you, that is when you begin to understand the disaster that is around you.”
67. “We have to endure pain as fuel for our spiritual journey.”
68. “Man cannot live without any kind of pleasure; therefore, when he is deprived of true spiritual pleasure, he will become addicted to carnal pleasures.”
Saint Thomas of Aquino
69. “In the depths of winter I finally learned that inside me lived an invincible summer.”
70. “Authentic learning comes when our competitive spirit has ceased.”
71. “Kindness in words creates trust, kindness in thought creates depth, and kindness in giving creates love.”
72. “When we are strong, we are always much bigger than the things that happen to us.”
73. “Spiritual joy arises from purity of heart and perseverance in prayer.”
San Francisco de Asis
74. “One of the greatest signs of our spirituality is revealed in how we react to the weaknesses, inexperience and potentially offensive actions of others.”
75. “Joy is spirituality. It is something completely different from pleasure and happiness. It has nothing to do with the external or with another person; it is an internal phenomenon.”
What are your favorite spiritual phrases?
Spiritual development does not have to be difficult or confusing. If we could only learn to come out of our shells and see the big picture, we would all have an easier time developing a stronger connection to everything inside and outside of us.
The pursuit of spiritual growth is a highly profitable enterprise. I hope these quotes about spirituality have inspired you to seek greater happiness.
What do you think about spirituality? Leave your opinion below in the comment section below.